Skip to main content

"Play that Funky Music" By: Wild Cherry (Week 10)

First of all, I have to add that I started by watching the band perform this song live and let me tell you, I couldn’t stop laughing throughout the whole thing. Everything about it was so funny. I encourage you to watch them perform because you will not be disappointed. But as for the song, it is really good. It has a good beat and melody even though the lyrics say mostly the same thing throughout the entire song.  
This song is just a fun song. It doesn't really tell a story or have any hidden messages behind it. I believe that this was a time of just fun songs that don’t really have any meaning to them. This song came out in the 70’s so everyone was just looking for a good time and trying to have as much fun as they can. This song is about having no worries and just listening to music whenever they can. The song really is the definition of “groovy.” There really isn’t any part of the song that I hated. It was an all around good song. 

The song was crazy. It made me feel like I should be swaying back and forth. I mean it was written in the 70’s so I should be wanting to get up and dance. But it made me think of my parents because that is just the people they are. If there is a beat of any sort they will get up and dance. There was a controversial part of the song, and that is when they say “play that funky music white boy.” I mean it probably wasn’t supposed to be controversial but it came out that way to me because in the music video about half of them were colored. The target audience was anyone who wanted to dance and have a good time. So really anyone who wanted to rebel against the status quo. 

Comments

  1. I completely agree with your assessment of this song. It is definitely marketed to people who are looking for music to dance to and want to have a good time. This is a very fun song and you are totally right about the music video being hilarious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Paige! I hope you have good day and had good spring break as well!
    Thank you for sharing this song. I've never listened to this song before and I like it!
    Yeah this melody sounds old and remains my parents too! I like how you share your thought, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Paige! This song is a funny song but you should also read the background about this song and how it can to be. I find it even funnier that what he is writing all actually happened to him and he is just writing about one of his experiences to performing. I also agree that this song just has a great beat and you really can't help but groove to it. Thank you for your post it was quite delightful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"You Send Me" By: Sam Cooke (Week 8)

I chose this song because it sounded like a love song from just the title. Then it turned out I had never heard the song before and I love hearing new songs. When it started I was a little skeptical about it but then once it got farther into the song, I started to actually like it and vibe with it. It made me want to get up and dance because of the way it was sung. It was a mix between a dance song and a blues song. So it sounded more like a blues song but the instruments in the back really made it sound more like a dance song. It was a really interesting song because I usually don’t listen to songs that sound like this.  The song was about the performer talking to a woman who he wants to be with. He talks about the different signals and signs that she is sending him. My favorite line of the song states, “Now I find myself wanting to marry you and take you home.” I like this because he loves her enough at that moment to marry her and be with her for the rest of his life. My leas...

"My Girl" By: The Temptations (Week 7)

I had actually heard this song before and actually really like it. But I picked this song because it is my best friend's favorite song and it comes on in her car every time I get in. Even though it is her favorite song, it is a really good song. Another reason I heard it was because dad likes weird and older songs like this. It is a song about a man who is hyping up this girl that he likes so much. He talks about every attribute that he likes about her and then goes on to talk about that he doesn’t need anything else but his girl. This song is something that isn’t really normal. For the time it was recorded in (1965). In the 60’s, there was more push towards education and getting people to college, but also more TV shows were coming out. This is why music was in full swing and pushing harder than ever. They were trying to get themselves back out in the world, especially with so many new things coming out.  This song made me feel very happy but also personally attacked because...