Skip to main content

"My Girl" By: The Temptations (Week 7)

I had actually heard this song before and actually really like it. But I picked this song because it is my best friend's favorite song and it comes on in her car every time I get in. Even though it is her favorite song, it is a really good song. Another reason I heard it was because dad likes weird and older songs like this. It is a song about a man who is hyping up this girl that he likes so much. He talks about every attribute that he likes about her and then goes on to talk about that he doesn’t need anything else but his girl.
This song is something that isn’t really normal. For the time it was recorded in (1965). In the 60’s, there was more push towards education and getting people to college, but also more TV shows were coming out. This is why music was in full swing and pushing harder than ever. They were trying to get themselves back out in the world, especially with so many new things coming out. 

This song made me feel very happy but also personally attacked because I had never been in a relationship ): But also I really like it because it is a catchy song. The lyrics are great because they really interact with the instruments because they compliment each other along with the message they are trying to portray. None of the instruments break away from their traditional roles because they are there to compliment the performer. This doesn’t really have anything to do with my favorite genre, but it has some of the same sounds that country music has. My favorite part of this song was the chorus, it was the best part of the song musically and lyrically. It is really catchy because it says mostly the same thing! My least favorite part of the song was where there was just instruments because I really enjoyed the lyrics to this song.

Comments

  1. It's so sweet that you picked up your best friend's favorite song! When I first listened to this song, the melody was weird because I'm unfamiliar with this kind of melody. But as I listened to this song several times, I could get used to the melody, and now the song makes me relax. I also like the chorus part, and I fully agree that this song made me feel very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It definitely takes more than one time listening to fully understand and appreciate this song. That said, I think that shows how genius it is! It's definitely catchy and the lyrics are interesting, the song definitely stands out against others of its time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this song as well it reminds me of when I was a kid and listened to the song. I like how he is bragging about his girl, I also really love the comparisons he gives like “sunshine” compared to “cloudy day”. It shows that regardless of the bad in his life she can always make it better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Play that Funky Music" By: Wild Cherry (Week 10)

First of all, I have to add that I started by watching the band perform this song live and let me tell you, I couldn’t stop laughing throughout the whole thing. Everything about it was so funny. I encourage you to watch them perform because you will not be disappointed. But as for the song, it is really good. It has a good beat and melody even though the lyrics say mostly the same thing throughout the entire song.   This song is just a fun song. It doesn't really tell a story or have any hidden messages behind it. I believe that this was a time of just fun songs that don’t really have any meaning to them. This song came out in the 70’s so everyone was just looking for a good time and trying to have as much fun as they can. This song is about having no worries and just listening to music whenever they can. The song really is the definition of “groovy.” There really isn’t any part of the song that I hated. It was an all around good song.  The song was crazy. It made m...

"You Send Me" By: Sam Cooke (Week 8)

I chose this song because it sounded like a love song from just the title. Then it turned out I had never heard the song before and I love hearing new songs. When it started I was a little skeptical about it but then once it got farther into the song, I started to actually like it and vibe with it. It made me want to get up and dance because of the way it was sung. It was a mix between a dance song and a blues song. So it sounded more like a blues song but the instruments in the back really made it sound more like a dance song. It was a really interesting song because I usually don’t listen to songs that sound like this.  The song was about the performer talking to a woman who he wants to be with. He talks about the different signals and signs that she is sending him. My favorite line of the song states, “Now I find myself wanting to marry you and take you home.” I like this because he loves her enough at that moment to marry her and be with her for the rest of his life. My leas...