I honestly don’t know why I picked this song, but I was not disappointed. This song is a Christian song about the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ. They are explaining how the sun didn’t shine on the mountain where the lord was being hung and dying. I had to look up the lyrics because I couldn’t completely understand what they were saying. But the lyrics really went with the melody and the beat of the song, when you think of a christian song, this is the melody that everyone's mind usually turns to.
I am a Christian, so I can relate to this song on a personal level. So the emotions that I got out were happiness that the events happened but also sadness because they are talking about how Jesus was crucified. The year this song came out was really big for Christians, Jimmy Carter was elected as president. He was a self-proclaimed “the born again” christian leader. This is when songs like this were really popular. This song is very christian and anyone can tell that by just listening to the first line. This song also surprised me by what they were talking about for the time period.
There is no instruments in this song, the whole song is acapella. But they do really good with their voices to produce the final sound. This is because it is a worship song, therefore they wanted it to be sung by anyone and anywhere. My favorite part of the song was the chorus because it explains what is happening better than any other part of the song. This has nothing to do with my favorite genre of song, because I don’t really like worship songs but it was a cool song. This fits into the main themes because it has to do with identity.
This song was not my favorite but I really did like it. My final thoughts for this song is, that worship songs have definitely come a long way from where they were at. The songs I sing to worship are completely different than this song.
I also really liked this song because it was in the style of a barbershop quartet and I really love the sound of groups like that. I knew this song had a religious meaning behind it, but I am not religious so I really appreciate your comments about your faith and feelings toward the song. It gave me an idea of your point of view towards the song as a Christian.
ReplyDeleteI really like this song as well. I also had to look up the lyrics to understand what they were saying, the quality was not the best, but over all I really like this song. I like how they decided to do it
ReplyDeleteA Capella so anyone, anywhere can sing it they don't need an instrument.
I really enjoyed this song as well. I love the fact that they did this song A Capella. I feel like it truly gets you to listen to the lyrics, and understand the message they are getting across. It's interesting to me to listen to older gospel music, and compare it to the gospel music that people listen to today. The tone of this song can be misleading . The positive and upbeat singing can come across as confusing when you listen to the lyrics.
ReplyDeleteI also picked this song not knowing what is was, I did however enjoy listening to them sing A Capella, I've always liked listening to old quartets. It was cool to see it from your view as a Christian, I liked the way you compared it to your personal faith and the way you explained the meaning of the song.
ReplyDelete