Skip to main content

“I Got Rhythm” By: George/Ira Gershwin (week 3)

I chose this song because my dad had made me listen to it one day and the title stuck with me because it was really weird. My dad also made me watch the 1951 musical, “An American in Paris,” which I mean I wasn’t mad but also it was interesting compared to the musicals we have now. If anyone knows my dad, this is definitely a song he would like. 
I really enjoyed this song when I actually listened to it and thought about what the lyrics were saying. This song is very happy and did not have a sad moment. The beat was very uplifting and not slow and dreary. It was all about this person having “the rhythm” then it goes on about all the things that she has and how happy she is. At the end of every verse they say “Who could ask for anything more?” Which is true because if someone is happy where they are and with their life, how could they want anything more?
The lyrics make you feel like your life is very happy after thinking about what you have and the music goes right along with it. Not only is it a fast song and very upbeat, the lyrics tell how happy the person is and how much she actually has. This piece reminds me of summer and all the happy things that happen in summer, also it surprises me by being so upbeat and positive because this time was not a very good time for the United States. Being able to find something positive was very impressive. 

This song was produced in 1930, which was in the heart of the great depression. This song is very controversial because no one was this happy and no one really had a good outlook on life. On the other hand though, their strategy for this time was to make uplifting music to encourage the people to be happy and make America what it used to be.

Comments

  1. Your dad sounds like a cool person haha! I thought that the beat was rather uplifting and of fast tempo as well and I really liked that. I also thought that the lyrics were rather happy, and they went along with the music really well. I feel like it would be a great song to introduce during the great depression to try and uplift some peoples spirits and make them happy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

"Play that Funky Music" By: Wild Cherry (Week 10)

First of all, I have to add that I started by watching the band perform this song live and let me tell you, I couldn’t stop laughing throughout the whole thing. Everything about it was so funny. I encourage you to watch them perform because you will not be disappointed. But as for the song, it is really good. It has a good beat and melody even though the lyrics say mostly the same thing throughout the entire song.   This song is just a fun song. It doesn't really tell a story or have any hidden messages behind it. I believe that this was a time of just fun songs that don’t really have any meaning to them. This song came out in the 70’s so everyone was just looking for a good time and trying to have as much fun as they can. This song is about having no worries and just listening to music whenever they can. The song really is the definition of “groovy.” There really isn’t any part of the song that I hated. It was an all around good song.  The song was crazy. It made m...

"You Send Me" By: Sam Cooke (Week 8)

I chose this song because it sounded like a love song from just the title. Then it turned out I had never heard the song before and I love hearing new songs. When it started I was a little skeptical about it but then once it got farther into the song, I started to actually like it and vibe with it. It made me want to get up and dance because of the way it was sung. It was a mix between a dance song and a blues song. So it sounded more like a blues song but the instruments in the back really made it sound more like a dance song. It was a really interesting song because I usually don’t listen to songs that sound like this.  The song was about the performer talking to a woman who he wants to be with. He talks about the different signals and signs that she is sending him. My favorite line of the song states, “Now I find myself wanting to marry you and take you home.” I like this because he loves her enough at that moment to marry her and be with her for the rest of his life. My leas...

"My Girl" By: The Temptations (Week 7)

I had actually heard this song before and actually really like it. But I picked this song because it is my best friend's favorite song and it comes on in her car every time I get in. Even though it is her favorite song, it is a really good song. Another reason I heard it was because dad likes weird and older songs like this. It is a song about a man who is hyping up this girl that he likes so much. He talks about every attribute that he likes about her and then goes on to talk about that he doesn’t need anything else but his girl. This song is something that isn’t really normal. For the time it was recorded in (1965). In the 60’s, there was more push towards education and getting people to college, but also more TV shows were coming out. This is why music was in full swing and pushing harder than ever. They were trying to get themselves back out in the world, especially with so many new things coming out.  This song made me feel very happy but also personally attacked because...